DragonComet Short Story Contest was the original annual contest created by Life, the Universe, & Everything Symposium. Created in 1999 the contest was designed to give writers attending LTUE a practical experience in what LTUE panels and presentations teach. This contest was developed to not only give our adult attendees a place to enter their writing and be recognized. From the start it was also envisioned to assist children with learning the process and help them develop the passion we all share.
DragonComet Short Story Contest Rules 2018
The contest is divided into the following divisions:
1. Adult Writers (Ages 18+)
2. School Age Writers (9th – 12th grade at contest deadline)
3. Young School Age Writers (5th – 8th grade at contest deadline)
- By entering the contest, the author agrees to abide by all contest rules.
- There is no entrance fee.
- Only one entry is allowed per person. Only one division can be entered per triad. No simultaneous or previously published entries will be accepted.
- Stories must be science fiction or fantasy in nature and no more than 10,000 words.
- All entries must be in English. All communication will be done in English.
- All entries must be the author’s original work. No fan-fiction is permitted. Any plagiarism will result in the immediate disqualification of the entry.
- No graphic sex, language, violence, or profanity (as determined by the judges) will be allowed.
- Team members of Sibyl’s Scriptorium and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.
- All entries must be submitted electronically by the triad deadline.
- The contest year is divided into three Triads, plus one bonus Triad.
- Each triad will have up to three finalists for each division.
- Finalists are not eligible to enter another Triad during the contest year.
- Triad deadlines for the 2018 Contest year are July 1, 2017, November 1, 2017, and March 1, 2018.
- All manuscripts must be in Microsoft Word format.
- Entries need to be double-spaced with one-inch margins. The text needs to be in a 12-point monospaced font, such as Courier New. For more specifics please see the example entry provided.
- The author’s name and all identifying information must not appear anywhere on the story.
- Each page of the manuscript must include a header with the story’s title, a page number, and contest division information.
- The file name must be the title of the story.
- All judging will be done blindly to avoid any bias of the judges.
- Winning entries will be determined by the celebrity judges.
- All judging decisions are final.
- Finalists will be announced after each Triad’s judging is completed.
- Winners will be notified privately prior to the SibScript Awards ceremony.
Thank you for your interest in the DragonComet Short Story Contest. Please pass word of the contest on to anyone you feel may be interested.
Please contact us for any questions or information.