In 2004 Odyssey Poetry Contest was created to give poets attending LTUE a practical experience in what LTUE panels and presentations teach. The contest offers divisions for both adult poets and those in grades 5th through 12th to assist everyone with the learning the process and to develop the passion we all share.
Odyssey Poetry Contest Rules 2018
The contest is divided into the following divisions:
1. Adult Poets (Ages 18+)
2. School Age Poets (9th – 12th grade at contest deadline)
3. Young School Age Poets (5th – 8th grade at contest deadline)
- By entering the contest, the author agrees to abide by all contest rules.
- There is no entrance fee.
- Only one entry is allowed per person. Only one division can be entered per triad. No simultaneous or previously published entries will be accepted.
- Poems must be science fiction or fantasy in nature and 100 lines or less in length.
- All entries must be in English. All communication will be done in English.
- All entries must be the author’s original work. No fan-fiction is permitted. Any plagiarism will result in the immediate disqualification of the entry.
- No graphic sex, language, violence, or profanity (as determined by the judges) will be allowed.
- Team members of Sibyl’s Scriptorium and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.
- All entries must be submitted electronically by the triad deadline.
- The contest year is divided into three Triads, plus one bonus Triad.
- Each triad will have up to three finalists for each division.
- Finalists are not eligible to enter another Triad during the contest year.
- Triad deadlines for the 2018 Contest year are July 1, 2017, November 1, 2017, and March 1, 2018.
- All manuscripts must be in Microsoft Word format.
- Entries need to have one-inch margins with a 12-point monospaced font, such as Courier New. For more specifics please see the example entry provided.
- The poet’s name and all identifying information must not appear anywhere on the poem.
- Each page of the manuscript must include a header with the poem’s title, a page number, and contest division information.
- The file name must be the title of the poem.
- All judging will be done blindly to avoid any bias of the judges.
- Winning entries will be determined by the celebrity judges.
- All judging decisions are final.
- Finalists will be announced after each Triad’s judging is completed.
- Winners will be notified privately prior to the SibScript Awards ceremony.
Thank you for your interest in the Odyssey Poetry Contest. Please pass word of the contest on to anyone you feel may be interested.
Please contact us for any questions or information.